Sunday, August 21, 2016

what to do with minibeasts!

I joined my new setting as a trainee in the middle of the school year!
It was quite an experience for me being rushed through all the paperwork ( lots of templates for planning, observations, reporting, assessments) and having to settle into a group of little ones who had never met me...ever!
We had a lovely theme that term: minibeasts.
The age group that  I lead is under 2 years... or just turning 2.
Then it struck me! We love 'incy wincy spider'; why not weave a lesson plan entirely around that nursery rhyme? It worked and we had 12 weeks of learning about the spider and his friends.
Here's a  photo of my planning board with the basic outiline. Later we filled it up with pictures of what we'd done and lots of craft.

We had key questions talking about where incy wincy spider lives, who his friends are, what he eats, what happens when it rains and when the sun comes out. I didn't realize that such a small rhyme could go a long long way!
To all you other teachers working on minibeasts, have fun planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment

First day of school: Settling in

 As an early years practitioner, I've survived a couple years settling in screaming preschoolers. I've seen it all! The quiet- resis...